Everyone loves to watch movies and has several favorite movies. However, in the college or university, your instructor would assign you to watch a particular movie or one of your own choices and write a comprehensive analysis on it. That seems difficult for some students. Nevertheless, writing a movie analysis is not as difficult as it seems to be.
This article is meant to provide you with guidelines and some easy tips and tricks to be followed while writing a movie analysis. So, let’s get started with learning what does it mean to analyze a movie? Well, it entails watching a movie and then taking into consideration its genre, characteristics, structure, context, etc. It is more like a rhetorical analysis, and the important factor to consider is formulating a logical and clear argument and then supporting it with examples.
There are several types of analysis in which you can analyze a movie. The four types are:
- Semiotic analysis: the aim is to interpret film’s symbolism
- Contextual analysis: the aim is to consider the time and place where the film was created
- Narrative structure analysis: in this type of analysis, the factors to be considered are the film’s theme, plot, and motives
- Mise-en-scene analysis: it works with the film’s audiovisual elements
The next thing to be considered is how to draft an impressive and effective movie analysis. The following guideline and tips might help you get through the task smoothly and efficiently.
Consider the instruction provided by the instructor
When I ask my personal essay writer to write my paper, I make sure to read all the instructions carefully. Because you should not waste your time working on irrelevant subjects, it is crucial to read the prompt carefully as the thesis statement and the main arguments will be based on it.
Begin your task
Watch the movie very carefully. Take your time and watch it as many times as you need to to avoid missing anything important. I would recommend watching the movie 2-3 times at least. When you watch it for the second time, take a pencil and notebook to note down important points and the things you observed. While you watch the movie keep the following points in your mind
- Make sure to consider the impression movie have on you when you watch it
- Enlist memorable details
- Interpret the key notion of the movie in your own way
- Search the quotes and dialogues in the movie that support your point of view
- Analyze and evaluate the plot, characters, and settings
Create an outline
Creating an outline is an important step that provides a skeleton for your analysis and it will help guide you throughout writing your analysis. The outline for movie analysis is just like the article or literature analysis. Following guidelines should be followed while creating the outline so you can write an effective analysis like a professional essay writer.
- Thesis statement: start with developing a strong thesis statement. The thesis statement is an important part that will guide your analysis. The thesis statement would contain the rationale of the analysis. It would help your readers analyze what they are going to find about in the analysis
- Introduction: this includes the basic characteristics regarding the movie, such as title, date of release, and director. You will be presenting the central theme or the main idea of the movie in this part. Moreover, the formulated thesis statement will be incorporated in this section
- Summary: In the summary, you are going to present an overview of the primary concepts in the movie. In this section, try to answer the five Ws such as what, where, when, who, and why, along with how. Apart from that, you can also discuss anything that is relevant to your point of view, structure, and style.
- Analysis: Now, this is the main part in which you critically analyze the movie. For instance, you would discuss why you like or don’t like the movie. Try to incorporate the supporting information that relates to your point of view. Moreover, discuss if and how the writer or the director of the movie remained successful in achieving the goals they meant to achieve.
- Conclusion: In conclusion, restate your thesis statement and summarize the main points and the primary concepts in the movie. Make sure to present this information in a convincing and new manner so that your readers get convinced. Moreover, you can end your conclusion by providing recommendation on whether to watch the movie or not based on strong supporting information
Start writing the final draft
After developing a comprehensive outline, take a small break and then start working on the final draft. Several points to keep in mind while writing the final document are:
- Rather than only quoting the text, you must incorporate the information related to audiovisual elements in the movie.
- You are required to explain the events in the present tense
- If you are incorporating the dialogues between the film characters, make sure to use block quotes
- Rather than describing the main elements only, describe the significance of the particular events.
- Moreover, you can also evaluate the effect of the particular event on an overall impression of the movie
Once you are done writing the movie analysis, read it once and check for any grammatical mistakes. You can also get it checked by YourEssayWriter, they will get this task done for you.